Wednesday, October 7, 2009

thunderbird: very small fonts, and links not opening in browser

I recently installed and new kubuntu on my mother's PC (yes!! finally, wiped out Windows completely!!), and of course I am the help desk support since then...

A few days ago I had the chance to solve to curious issues she was having with thunderbird. I had to google a little for both solutions:

Very small fonts: Almost everything in thunderbird had a very, very small font size: menus, message list, etc. I tried changing DPI resolution in KDE, setting global font preferences por KDE and GTK applications, with no avail. Finally the solution was to tweak a property within thunderbird:
layout.css.cpi = 0

(the default value was unset, or -1, I can't remember). So simple! I don't know what is the meaning of the property, but solved the issue and now all fonts are just like in any other application.



Clicking links does not open a browser: When reading an email with a URL, clicking on them did just nothing. I browsed every possible option in the Preferences windows, but there was nothing that fixed it. The solution, again, was hidden in the advanced preferences. I had to set a few variables:
network.protocol-handler.app.http = /usr/bin/firefox
network.protocol-handler.app.https = /usr/bin/firefox
(that can be done for ftp as well -- and any other protocol if needed).



Note: To edit the "advanced" preferences, go to Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Config Editor. Be aware that you can misconfigure it very easily from there!


Both are things far from what a regular end user could change. I wonder why the default install left things that way....

No comments:

Post a Comment