Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Install VMWare in Ubuntu

I did this a couple of times already and there seems to be no repository with .debs for Ubuntu as today. So here is how to install it with (some) package and dependency support:

  1. First download from here. Pick the RPM file, in my case it was named like this: VMware-Player-2.5.2-156735.i386.rpm
  2. Convert the RPM to a friendly DEB:
    $ sudo alien VMware-Player-2.5.2-156735.i386.rpm --scripts
    vmware-player_2.5.2-156736_i386.deb generated

  3. Install the DEB. Note I had a few warnings:
    $ sudo dpkg -i vmware-player_2.5.2-156736_i386.deb
    Selecting previously deselected package vmware-player.
    (Reading database ... 276046 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking vmware-player (from vmware-player_2.5.2-156736_i386.deb) ...
    Setting up vmware-player (2.5.2-156736) ...
    Extracting VMware Installer...done.
    Installing VMware Installer 1.0
    Copying files...
    Configuring...
    Installing VMware Player 2.5.2
    Copying files...
    Configuring...
    Installing VMware Player 2.5.2
    Copying files...
    Configuring...

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/tmp/vmis.c32339/install/vmware-installer/python/lib/logging/handlers.py", line 73, in emit
    if self.shouldRollover(record):
    File "/tmp/vmis.c32339/install/vmware-installer/python/lib/logging/handlers.py", line 146, in shouldRollover
    msg = "%s\n" % self.format(record)
    File "/tmp/vmis.c32339/install/vmware-installer/python/lib/logging/__init__.py", line 630, in format
    return fmt.format(record)
    File "/tmp/vmis.c32339/install/vmware-installer/python/lib/logging/__init__.py", line 421, in format
    s = self._fmt % record.__dict__
    UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 62: ordinal not in range(128)
    Installation was successful

I admit I don't know if these errors are critical or not -- let me know if you do. But after installing it this way I am able to use it perfectly (it's been a few days of usage already and I think everything works) .

(The advantage of this method over just downloading a .bin and installing it is that this gets registered in your package manager, and therefore you can uninstall it or cleanly update it later)

2 comments:

  1. It is not really an advantage to install a broken debian package over a bin package. I experienced the same "warnings". I suspect that the vmplayer works, at least it seems to. I was unable to remove the package though. Removal may require brute force - hacking APT's registry. So let us hope it will keep working.

    Thanks for the post and best wishes,

    Steen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steen,

    Yes, I know it is not the best thing to install the package in this state. I have been using vmware since I posted this, and it keeps working... We'll see at the time I need to upgrade or remove the package!

    Thanks for you comment.
    Hernan

    ReplyDelete