Monday, June 22, 2009

Obtain a Yamaha saxophone's birth date, from its serial number

Note to programmers: This is WAY offtopic!

Anyone owning a musical instrument may wonder which is its manufacturing date. I own a saxophone, and sax players over the web seem to be proud of knowing when their instruments were born!

Mine is a Yamaha YTS-25, and as with any Yamaha sax, there is no way to know the manufacturing date given the serial number. They are not sequential. People made some tables of known numbers.... but I found one interesting and suggestion in the web: Just ask customer service for it! So I wrote them (imail1 /at/ yamaha /dot/ com) last Thursday, and got a very kind letter on Monday telling me the month and year it was manufactured.

Now I can say I am happy to play a 16 year old saxophone :) Thanks Yamaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment