Monday, February 10, 2014

Cut my SIM to MicroSIM size

I bought a new phone, with the surprise that my SIM ("Mini-SIM", formally) would not fit: This and other new phones use Micro-SIM (or even Nano-SIM) format. The chip contacts are the same, just with less plastic around.

You mobile carrier company should be able to swap your SIM card or just cut it with one of the many automatic clippers around. Some of them charge for this -- I am sure they would, in my country. And, there is the hackish way which I am of course always up to: cut it yourself!

There are many posts about this on the web. I just picked one of the mostly linked templates, and cut it. Here is the before:

And the after:
(I sorry - this is not the card after cutting - just the leftovers: the card is in my phone now!)

If you are careful, I think it should just work. It was not such a complicated or exact work to me.

My only advice, maybe a refinement on what I read, is that you mark the cuts with a cutter (and a metal ruler) before really cutting, which I did with regular scissors. The lines you "draw" with the cutter are perfectly thin, better than using a marker or pen.

This was no software hacking. Tangible stuff this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment